Monday, July 1, 2013

Vicki Kinnaird Stopped by for a visit!

Welcome Vicki Kinnaird! I’m so glad you stopped by!


Why don’t you tell us a little bit about yourself?

My name is Victoria Kinnaird but friends call me Vicki. I’m 25 years old and I live in Glasgow, Scotland. I love to read, I go to the cinema a lot and when I’m not doing that, you can find me at rock shows all over the UK!

That would be so much fun! 

When did you first start writing ? 

I used to draw little stories in the backs of my books when I was little and I wrote some truly awful poetry when I was 11/12. I didn’t start writing seriously until I was 15.

What do you love about writing?

The absolute lack of rules! I’m writing a book at the moment with a character that lives in a major London landmark, and I love that I can just make that happen.


I love when there are NO RULES! :D 

What do you need when writing? Music, candy, silence, etc.



I always have music on, and I create a play list for each novel before I even put pen to paper. As long as I have music, pen and paper and a bit of space, I’m good to go.

This is a video from Vicki's Playlist :D



 Cool! 
How did you go about building your world and characters?

The trilogy I’m writing at the moment - The Red Sun Rises trilogy - has been a bumpy ride! My protagonist, Eren Anderson, showed up in my head one day, introduced himself and just started chatting so that was pretty cool, he wasn’t much work at all! The other characters are either completely made up (like Corbijn and Lilith) or loosely based on real people (like Andy and Nicole). When I started writing Book 1, “the Red Sun Rises”, I knew I wanted to write a YA novel that gave vampires their bite back, and everything else just kind of clicked into place.

Vampires as they should be :D 

Can you provide us with an excerpt?  



I don’t have a book cover yet as the book isn’t out until September 6th (so close and yet so far) but here’s an excerpt from an early chapter that features Eren and his best friend Andy:

    
"Fitting in is over rated," Andy said, waving a big hand dismissively and nearly hitting me in the face. "When you turn 18, you can high tail it out of this place and go be a rock star in the city. There's a place for you in the world, Eren. It sucks that it's not here and that you have to wait it out, but you'll find it."
            "When did you get so damn insightful? You been watching some heartfelt teen melodrama shit again?" I laughed, letting the moment slip by, savouring the warmth of Andy's words as they settled over me. I almost believed him.
            "Just when you think you're out, the CW finds a way to drag you back in," Andy dead panned, moving his arm from my straightened shoulders with one last fond ruffle of my hair.

Sounds great! :D


Fun time!

Do you play games? If so what kind? If not, why the heck not?

Does The Sims count? I don’t have the co-ordination for anything more complicated than that!


Favorite author?

I can’t pick just one! It’s probably a toss up between Anne Rice, J K Rowling, Neil Gaiman, Joe Hill or Cassandra Clare.

 I love him! 
Favorite TV guilty pleasure?

There’s this reality TV show in the UK called “Made In Chelsea”, it’s like Jersey Shore but with super rich people and I love it!


Now that sounds likes something I might watch :P 

Favorite Action Hero?

Peter Pan :P



Either/ or Lightening round!

Are you a dog person or a cat person?

Dog - I have two!


Chocolate or Vanilla ice cream?

Chocolate

Fruits or Veggies?

Fruit 

Coke or Pepsi?

Coke


Soda or Pop?

Soda

Sweet or Sour?

Sweet!


Pick at least one :D

If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only have 3 things with you, what or who would they be?

I’d have a wind up gramophone, my sister’s record collection and my Harry Potter book collection!




Harry Potter is a must have! 

If you were stranded on a different planet, what planet would it be, what 3 things would you want with you and what 2 people would you hope got stranded with you?

As long as the planet was hospitable, that’d be fine by me! I’d probably pick the same three things (gramophone, record collection and Harry Potter book collection) and the two people I’d want with me would be my sister and Neil Gaiman!

If you traveled to an alternate universe, whose universe would it be? What would you do there?

I would love to live in Cassandra Clare’s Shadowhunter universe, it sounds like a ton of fun.

If you traveled back in time, what time period would you want to visit most? Who would you hope to meet?

I would love to go back to the late 1800s to meet Oscar Wilde.


The Important stuff!

Any advice for aspiring authors?

I guess the lesson I’ve learned through writing “The Red Sun Rises” is to always stick with it. It took me 5 years to write the book because I would let my insecurities take over. I stopped and restarted writing it so many times! I also think it’s important to show your work to people you trust to be honest with them, be open with it, and just have as much fun writing as you can.

Where can we stalk… I mean find you?(Links baby!)

I’ve just launched my official Facebook page, which you can find here: www.facebook.com/victoriakinnairdofficial

Where can we buy your books?


“The Red Sun Rises” will be released on September 6th so there are no links for sale yet, but if you like my official Facebook page you’ll get the information pretty much as soon as I do! 

Book Trailer for Red Sun Rises: 

No comments: